the sisters on Maui

the sisters on Maui

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

week 6- The word of Wisdom and Mangos!



We had some really neat lessons this week! Our investigator R. has been trying to keep the word of wisdom. We found out at our last lesson that he has given up alcohol and coffee! He said that he has so much more energy and isn't tired at all! Heavenly Father is really blessing him for his sacrifice and efforts. We also had a lesson with our new investigator B. She is looking for a church that feels like "home" to her. We talked about the restoration and the book of Mormon. She asked if we could read some together. She read through the first chapter right then and really liked it! She had a great understanding of the scriptures and we are so excited for her to keep learning more.
We get like 10 zillion mangos every week here...... Our whole apt. smells like mangos. Everyone gives the sisters mangos.......... and chicken. The great part is that my companion is intolerant to meat and It makes her throw up. Poor thing can hardly have a local dinner and keep it down. She does great at eating while we are there but it just makes her very sick when we get home. It has actually been pretty surprising that we both eat whatever is given to us mostly. I was afraid before I came here that I wouldn't be able to eat any of the local food. I really feel that we are being blessed to be able to eat whatever we need to to be polite. It's nothing awful like my dad had ( monkey brains) or my mom ( chuno= molded potatoes)  but just some strangely spiced things or undercooked things that are different to me or large quantities.
We went on a hike last p-day down this steep mud slope. You had to hold on to ropes all the way down. On the way back up, it started raining pretty hard. By the end we were all muddy and really wet, but it was so much fun!
Sister Mottl and I listen to one song on our CD over and over again. It is an old efy song and it talks about the pioneers in the martin handcart company. The first few verses are from the perspective of those pioneers as they traveled. It talks about how hard it was and the joy that they felt when the relief party came from Salt Lake. The last verse talks about how people are still lost in our world and that we need to "heed a prophet's call once more: Go bring them in from the plains" We Love this song because it reminds us that there are people out there who need the gospel, who want the gospel  in their lives. Maybe they just don't know it yet. We need to be the ones to go out and find them. I always think to myself that if I didn't have the gospel, I would want someone to find me.
Even when the work is hard, it is so important to keep searching because They need to know that they have a loving Heavenly Father and that Jesus Christ made it possible for us to return to live with Heavenly Father forever. I love this gospel so much, and I love being a missionary. I am so glad to be here! I miss you all a bunch!
Lots of Love
-Sister Hodgson






No comments:

Post a Comment